A recent discovery found that Colona is one of the oldest surviving Granges on the western slope of Colorado. Due to disappearance of the Grange scrapbook all information prior to 2000 has to be researched in an attempt to recreate a complete picture of the Grange activities. Any information or pictures of Grange or school activities before 2000 is welcomed in the form of donated originals, scanned copy, duplicate copy or written memories sent to Cara Miller.
Organized in 1915, Colona Grange numbered 23 members. On January 10, 1916, the minutes state “a motion was made and seconded that the School House be accepted as future place of meeting”. That meeting bound the Grange and school together for a long and interesting future.
Located in a small community, Colona has never been a Grange with a large number of members. As such, the term community service has the meaning of a community doing service for the community in place of one individual organization doing service for a community.
In 2000, Colona Grange saw the building designated first as a Ouray County Historic Site then Colorado State Historic Site. Efforts continue to raise funds for maintenance. Grange members worked with remaining members of Colona Helping Hand club to publish a cookbook of favorite recipes. The cookbook was found to be popular enough for a second printing.
Copies are available from Cathy Loss or Wanda Miller .
January 2014, saw the transfer of most remaining members of Riverside Grange to Colona. Those transfers made Colona the only surviving Grange in the Uncompahgre Valley.
Currently we are working on restoration of the former Colona School and history research on both the school and Grange. Our other projects include working with the Colona Cemetery Committee to clean, map and identify graves in the cemetery.
Information can be obtained by calling 970-249-5024.